Pages

Wednesday 4 September 2013

Letting new people in is hard


This past year hasn't been a waste though, I've learnt so many lessons this year. Let me tell you one.

When I first moved to here as a 'permanent' resident a couple of years ago life was pretty crazy. My boss was on sabbatical so I had taken on most of his role as well as doing my own, plus I had the added stress/excitement/busyiness of settling into my new flat, meeting new people etc.

I was being very cautious not to ask anyone for help in case people thought "I don't want to get involved being friends with her, she's the needy sort!" and I think I'd gotten myself pretty exhausted in the process,. However a year later when I had the news that my job had gone, I suddenly had a load of lovely coffee invites ... I was feeling so weak I could no longer put on an "I'm fine" front anymore and I accepted support offered.

A persons most useful asset is not a head full of knowledge, but a heart full of love, an ear ready to listen and a hand willing to helpI learnt to let people in a bit and to ask for help on the occasions when I needed it. It was through accepting support that I spent time with people, made and deepened friendships.

They in turn learnt my strengths as time went by they were soon knocking on my door asking me for help and support, it's great to be there for them too. I now have a new network of friends , outside of where I used to work and generally feel more established and settled.

Asking for help still doesn't come naturally to me but I've got much better at it. Most people, like myself love to be needed and lend that helping hand or listening ear and not forgetting to be appreciated and affirmed too.
I get by with a little help from my friends

No comments:

Post a Comment