Pages

Sunday 22 March 2015

Comparison and Criticism

I watched an episode of "the Big Painting challenge" this evening on BBC2. A quest to find Britain's best amater artist. This week it was set in Liverpool with various scenes to paint using different mediums.

I got quite distressed though as the one of the judged didn't seem to have anything,encouraging to say about anything. It made me sad that she didn't see any of the beauty, which in my untrained eyes was clearly evident in most of the paintings.

It then got me thinking about many of the reality competition programmes on TV, The Great British Bake off, the Voice, Xfactor, Strictly- we cannot watch them without hearing the harsh and very public  criticisms of the judges,

Do I/we take these judging voices into our minds when we create something just for our own pleasure or for friends and family?

I believe we were all born to enjoy creating something as we are made in the image of a God who creates. Whether we enjoy baking, painting, writing, speaking, there is something beautiful and unique in all our efforts and maybe if we ignore these made up critical voices our pens,  paintbrushes, hands, voices or feet will begin to dance.


No comments:

Post a Comment